Thursday, April 8, 2010

Some Notes About Whitey Davis

(A late 1966 poster from the Caffe Espresso in Portland, OR, when Whitey Davis was booking the venue. h/t Ross for the scan)

Coleman "Whitey" Davis was an important figure in West Coast psychedelic rock music in the 1960s, but he has been largely forgotten today. As I have begun working on the history of the Crystal Ballroom in Portland, and Oregon psychedelic venues in the 1960s in general, I thought a brief overview of what is known about Davis's fascinating career would be useful, as he will keep re-appearing at a variety of interesting junctures.

Whitey Davis had been the Assistant Manager at the Avalon Ballroom in 1966. He then moved to Portland, where he owned a coffee shop with music called The Folksinger, at 409 SW 13th Ave (at Burnside Street). Thanks to Valerie’s Brown exceptional research, the confusing timeline of Portland coffee house music venues can be clarified. There had been an earlier coffee shop named Caffé Espresso, at SW 6th and Harrison, and it was a famous Portland beatnik hangout, but it had closed in 1965, its owner bought out of his lease for an urban renewal. A popular folk music club called The Folksinger had moved from its original site on SW 10th (across from the Country Library) to 409 SW 13th at W. Burnside.

The Folksinger had a capacity of about 100, and in 1966 manager Whitey Davis began to experiment with blues, jazz and rock bookings as well as folk. Since Davis had worked with Chet Helms and The Family Dog in San Francisco, he was connected to the underground music scene. At some point in late 1966, the Folksinger changed its name to Caffé Espresso, in part probably to avoid the by-then somewhat stale “folk” association.

By early 1967, Davis was promoting rock bands, complete with light shows, on weekends at the Caffé Espresso. Weekdays still featured local folk performers, in a variety of styles. In Portland, somewhat uniquely, clubs that served alcohol were effectively barred from hiring bands (until 1973), so coffee houses did not face competition from conventional rock clubs. The small capacity of Caffé Espresso was frustrating, however, and in January 1967, Whitey Davis found a partner and started to book shows around the corner at the much larger Crystal Ballroom. The booking for the Caffe Espresso was taken over by Larry Howard, but given the close proximity to the Crystal, it is likely that there were at least social connections to Whitey Davis.

In 1967, Davis was also became the manager of a rock band called The Weeds, who had literally run out of gas in Portland (on their way to Vancouver), and played the Folksinger to earn money to travel on. The group ended up staying in Portland. By 1968, however the Weeds had gone to Los Angeles to record, and a new manager changed their name to The Lollipop Shoppe.

Davis and partner Jim Magaurn took over the Crystal Ballroom in January 1967 and managed it through early 1968. In the beginning of 1968, there was an effort to merge the Crystal with Chet Helms’ Family Dog operation, and around that time both partners left the Crystal, albeit on friendly terms. Davis returned to San Francisco to manage the Avalon Ballroom, with a particular emphasis on booking groups throughout the West Coast, at the Crystal Dog in Portland as well as the Avalon. While a Family Dog 'circuit' was an excellent idea, Helms and Davis were about a year too late, and more powerful associations (such as between Bill Graham and Frank Barsalona's Premier Talent Agency) were able to outbid the Dog. Davis left the Family Dog around June 1968.

(the first known poster from The Sound Factory, 1817 Alhambra, Sacramento, June 28-29, 1968. h/t Ross for the scan)

Davis went to Sacramento, California, where he ran a ballroom called The Sound Factory (at 1817 Alhambra). The Sound Factory opened in June, 1968, with great bands and great posters. In return for advertisements on the local underground rock station, KZAP-fm, Davis was a Saturday afternoon dj on the station, so he is fondly remembered in the Sacramento area. However, the Sacramento area was not really big enough to support an ongoing venue, and the Sound Factory was always on shaky financial footing. After various fits and starts, it closed in Spring 1969.

Whitey Davis appears to have become Miles Davis’s road manager from about 1970-72. The surreality of Miles Davis having a white road manager named Whitey Davis can hardly be imagined, and I find it unlikely that it was a different Whitey Davis. However, Whitey Davis died prematurely—I think in  the late 1970s—but he seems to be fondly remembered by those that worked with him. The West Coast 60s rock underground was a considerably smaller universe than it might appear, and Whitey Davis seems to have been a surprisingly important figure. Its unfortunate that there is so little information about him.

64 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew Whitey. OMG. Has it been that long. I was 15 years old when I started hanging out at his club. I was a regular 60's street urchin. So many memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello I am whiteydavis oldest son I live In chloride arizona if you want information about whitey call me at my phone number 1 928 5657526 or my email rabyandwendy02@gmail.com or if you get to arizona my address is 5123 tennessee avenue number 23 in chloride arizona.

      Delete
  3. Jammer, Whitey Davis was a pretty interesting character, and I now have learned some more twists and turns to his extremely interesting story. Which club where you hanging out in--there were several?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked for Whitey Davis in NY in the 71-72 time frame. Whitey owned a sound reinforcement company called Megaphone Co. located at 39 Crosby Street in Manhattan. He never once mentioned his west coast roots, in fact, at the time ( I was 20), he rarely spoke! I remember him as a no nonsense business dude. I went out on the road w him and the Miles Davis Band ( Bitches Brew ) and I recall Miles, in his gruff voice saying upon checking into hotels, " I'm Blacky Davis and he's Whitey Davis, I get the suite, he gets the single".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi eric

      see my post above - i worked with whitey and your mom at t he megaphone company. remember fred the cat? email me at laura16502004@yahoo.com.....

      Delete
    2. hi scott
      i worked for whitey at the megaphone company in 70-71...
      i was laura with the long hair....... did we overlap?

      what was the name of the chinese guy who was a genius at fixing the sound equipment?

      etc etc..... those were the days. if you feel like it my email is laura16502004@yahoo.com.

      Delete
    3. hi laura, my name is Kelly and it must have been me rather than my brother eric that you remember from the megaphone co. my mom was patty. i was 2ish at the time just having been born in 69. I'm sorry i don't remember you but i was just a wee lad at the time ;) Eric is a few years older than I and was in california in those days. Its possible you might be thinking of our other brother mike. he is a bit older than eric and i. all together there are 7 of us that we know of (boys and girls) that whitey had with 5 different women. me being the youngest.

      Delete
  5. Scott, thanks for the interesting insights. Whitey Davis is one of those interesting guys who kept turning up in interesting places. In the Summer of '67 he skipped out of Portland and showed up in North Lake Tahoe, whereafter he took a band to New York City. When that venture didn't pan out, he returned to Portland in the Fall of '67.

    Subsequently he seems to have gone from Portland to San Francisco to Sacramento in 1968, and ends up in New York by 1970. Truthfully, I haven't yet received 100% confirmation that the "Whitey Davis" who was Miles's road manager was the same one in Portland. I think it's highly likely, but he's a mysterious guy to trace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep my dad was indeed miles road manager at the time scott mentions but had to leave the tour and come back to the US because of some financial issues that whiteys brother gayland got into while running the megaphone company for whitey while he, my mother and i were on tour with miles. After dealing with the megaphone company fallout in NY whitey went back to the west coast where eventually, he lost his hearing in an industrial accident which in turn led/contributed to his suicide in oakland.

      Delete
    2. Hello tyded I am whiteydavis oldest son I was .living in the house that whitey died in I was with whitey and Jill my fathers girlfriend and my brother kelly.we traveled to france.and Spain .I was 15 years old .if anyone wants information about the other things that whitey has done. Contact me at chloride western rv park space 23 in chloride arizona. Or call me at 1 928 5657526. Mike legayeraby davis. Kelly if this is you please talk to me.thank you

      Delete
  6. Brian Knaff told me Whitey booked IS at the Pinwinnie Iron Foundry in Sacto with Steppenwolf. "Whitey Davis saw us at either the Fillmore or Fillmore West and he also told me one time that Bill Graham had given us a good reference."

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes,the contents of this excerpt are for the most part accurate and true to facts, he was my dad. Dad died in oakland ca in 1975. he was not in good humor at the end of his life,he suffered severe hearing loss from an accident, it took his music away from him, keep in mind our info is limited as well,on several fronts. would love to speak with some of you who knew him.. Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My name is Mike legayeraby davis my father was whitey davis I am the oldest son of whitey davis I was living in the house that whitey davis died in I saw his body that was hanging in the belltower.that was in November 1975 if anyone needs further Information contact me at chloride western rv park number 23. In chloride arizona. Or my phone 1 928 5657526. Mike legayeraby davis.

      Delete
  8. Eric, can you email me at corrarnold at gmail.com? I can put you in touch with some Sacramento people who knew Whitey who would be very imterested in sharing information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contact me at rabyandwendy02@gmail.com or 1 928 565 7526

      Delete
  9. I was 15 when I used to stay up all night listening to the Jazz musicians come in and do sets all night. Sunrise breakfast. I was a regualr at the original folksinger. I knew Whitey as well as a kid could. I do have the stories. Yes, he was a force in changing the music scene too, and gave competition to the old Cafe Espesso. And I was a regular there too. What was the address of that place. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my father was whiteydavis I am the oldest son of whitey davis he died in Oakland California in 1975 I was with him when he had the cristal ballroom and the folksingers.we painted the windows black at the cristal ballroom so that the law couldn't see in.I was 12 at the time.my phone number is 1 928 5657526 my po box is 189 chloride arizona 86431.mikelegayeraby davis

      Delete
    2. Whiteydavis has three sons named mike.eric.kelly.three daughters named corky.janicke pronouced janicka.nina.Mikes mothers name is virginia.Erics mother's name is Linda fox.Kelly's mother's name is patty Caron. Corkys mother is virginia.janicka mother's name is turid.Nina mother is turid. Eric says that there are 7 children. I only know of six.

      Delete
  10. Oh ya, any picks of the Old Crystal Ballroom, Cafe Espresso, Folksinger, Whitey?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh ya, any picks of the Old Crystal Ballroom, Cafe Espresso, Folksinger, Whitey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a picture of whitey if you want one send me 15.00 because I have to have copys made.call me if you want one.

      Delete
    2. My phone number is 928 565 7526

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whitey promoted the Dead's Sacto show 10/5/68.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sound factory on Alhambra blvd.he is now a uso.call me at my house my phone is 928 565 7526

      Delete
    2. I have more info on whitey davis please contact me at my phone is 928 565 7526

      Delete
    3. If memory serves me correctly, the Dead headlined the show at the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium and The Turtles opened for them. The Turtles ran long and when they finished, the place emptied out. All that remained were people there to see the Grateful Dead, not any teeny bopper music... LOL

      Delete
  14. Eric please contact me I'm sorry I upset you thank you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tyded please contact me I'm sorry I upset you thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is your brother in chloride

      Delete
    2. Greg Montgomery my phone is 928 565 7526 mikedavis

      Delete
    3. My po box is 189 chloride.arizona 86431 I can send a photo when I can make copys mikedavis

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  16. Eric our other brother is in Riverside california his name is Curtis James davis have a good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our other brother was adopted in 1962 his adopted name is Michael t utterback he has a business called mow it down landscaping.please reply.

      Delete
  17. I was a 15 year old when I met Whitey. I was also a regular at the Folksingers across from the library. He always had my back and made sure no one messed with me. He occasionally fed me too. I would stay late for the incredible Jazz and many times have breakfast with the band. When he moved the location it was harder for me to get there. Then I moved to SF like so many other kids. I used to play at the club (but not very well). I remember later playing once in a while with The Tweedie Brothers. Local band favs were our own "The Great Pumpkin." Does anyone remember a club closer to the river called "Gotham City." Down from the Café Espresso? Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In case you have a question . . .
      spectr3belfire@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. I have a picture of whitey Davis if anyone wants one

      Delete
  18. I live in chloride arizona if anyone needs more information come see me at chloride western rv park number 23.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got a phone call from a guy who used to work for my father from England.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whitey davis also helped do the sound at 69 john hanley says he did all of the sound at woodstock.he is a credit hog.megaphone company of 149 Crosby st NY city was whitey davis sound company. Whiteydavis also renter rehearsal space to bands that came to the city.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My name is Larry Smith and I worked at the Sound Factory in 1968-69.What a blast it was. I remember when Jethro Tull came to the Factory. It was the Big Bear Medicine Show by Mercury Recording. On our off hours we were at KZAP smoking or would go to Fillmore. Whitey was a great guy and we had a lot of fun. I am friends with Dennis Larkins who did Bill Grahams stage props.Dennis is still painting and doing fine in Santa Fe.This brings back great memories of when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello this is mikelegayeraby davis. Whiteydavis son.I have the photo ready to send you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can you send a scan to corrarnold at gmail dot com?

      Delete
  23. Does anyone remember mike curto.who took many photos of the sound factory in Sacramento california. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can confirm the June 1968 date for the Sound Factory. My band was the opening act on opening night, this very evening 52 years ago. Never had any further contact with Whitey after the Sound Factory closed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Would love to see some of those old photos, if any of them surface after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  26. BTW, the graphic of the poster is not very accurate. It may be a proof or such, before the real poster was printed. All the copies I remember, and the copies I have, the background is black, and the rest is purple and green.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello neptune please call me my phone number is 19285657526. My po Box is 189 chloride Arizona 86431.thank you

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can you please send me copies of the posters I have three sisters and three brothers who would like to see Thanks .t

    ReplyDelete
  29. My name is Michael smith Adams raby legaye davis.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My po Box name is mike davis 189 chloride Arizona 86431.thanks

    ReplyDelete
  31. My email address is rabyandwendy02@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I worked for Whitey at the Megaphone Co. on Crosby St. in NYC. I fixed the PA gear, all those Sunn Cabinets and Altec amps. Only to find out later that those amps and horn speakers actually belonged to McCune Sound in San Francisco. Regardless we had some cool clients; Sha Na Na and Canned Heat used our rehersal space, we did trucking for Fleetwood Mac, Savoy Brown, Grateful Dead, we did sound for Johnie Winter, Van Morrison, Ten Wheel Drive, Livingston Taylor (James Taylor’s brother), Miles Davis, Black Sabbath. I did repair work on band gear for Jimi Hendrix, Canned Heat, The Fillmore East and many others. What a busy whirlwind that place was. For a barely 21year old kid taking a break from college it was a totally amazing experience. I thank Whitey for taking a chance on an inexperienced technician. He started me out and I stayed in the sound business until I retired 50 years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm whitey Davis oldest son Mike davis.i was the kid who always got in the way now I live in chloride Arizona my phone number is 19285657526 .

      Delete
  33. I have a picture of whitey Davis if you want it

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello steve.this is Mike Davis here is my phone number19285657526

    ReplyDelete
  35. Steve Kadar I have a picture of whitey Davis if you want it

    ReplyDelete